Things have been so crazy for our family over the past few weeks. However, it served as a humbling experience for me to remember how truly hard it is to eat well when life gets in the way.
Looking back, here are some survival tips:
- Cut yourself some slack. You’re not going to be perfect, so lose the guilt trip and do the best you can.
- Pick out a couple options you know are safe at fast food restaurants.
Chicken Tostado Salad at Taco Bell. I skipped the rice and just had beans on the bottom on the shell. I also took a few bites of the tostado shell before pitching it. Probably counts as 2 proteins, 1/2 a starch, and 1 1/2 cups veggies the way I did it. Protein-style hamburger at In ‘N Out. Skip the “secret sauce” and add mustard or a little ketchup instead. I’m guessing it counts as about 3 proteins and maybe 1/2 a serving of vegetables. Add more lettuce and tomato to make it a full serving!
- Remember to hydrate! It’s easy to get behind on your fluid intake, so keep a water bottle with you and try to drink two cups at a time to get as close as you can to the recommended 8 cups per day.
- Keep protein bars readily-available, apples in your purse, and supplements on hand to have between meals. If too much time goes by, all willpower will be out the window at the next meal.
- Try to do something daily, no matter how brief it may be, to pamper yourself. Taking a warm shower or bath, reading a bit before bed, or any other activity you enjoy will make you feel rewarded; without reaching toward the sweets!
What have you done to survive during busy times?